5.25.2012

A Long Two Weeks

I haven't forgotten about blogging and my "picture-a-day" promise to Bruce, it's just been a LONG two weeks and blogging has taken a backseat to everything else. Owen got sick the day before Mother's Day and ran a five-day fever. The following Monday his fever got up to 104.5 and I was scared. The on-call nurse told us we could wait until the morning to see the doc if that was his only symptom (and it was), but that a 105 fever was an automatic trip to the ER. The next day the doctor told me his blood work was fine and that it was just a nasty virus he would have to ride out. Two days later he was back to normal and the fever was gone. That was last Friday.

Sunday night Kathryn started screaming "My head is hurting!" and I gave her ibuprofen and water and she was fine 30 minutes later. Around midnight she woke up with a fever and a headache and threw up. (I learned last week from the doc that when a kid's temp spikes like that they can/often throw up). I thought it was just like Owen's virus until Monday night when her fever got up to 104 and she said her neck hurt. Scary. I again called the on-call nurse and we went through all of her symptoms and she finally said she thought we could wait to see the doc in the morning. The next day the pediatrician told me her white count was high and that because my throat looked the way it did that we probably had strep. Oh yeah, did I mention Monday I started running a fever and my throat started hurting? We both started antibiotics that night and my Mom offered to take Sullivan and Owen on Wednesday morning so K and I could rest. The medicine didn't seem to help either of us and since K was still running a fever we went back to the doctor yesterday and I went to my doctor. The medicine wasn't helping because neither of us had strep, just the same nasty virus Owen had. My doctor gave me a steroid shot and today I can swallow without having to brace myself and I've been fever free for almost 24-hours. Bug still has a terrible runny nose and a fever, but this is day four so I'm praying tomorrow is her last day of a fever, if not today.

Sullivan started running a fever two days ago at my Mom's house, but she seems to only spike one in the afternoon and then gets ibuprofen and is fine until the next afternoon. We're going to go to my Mom's in the morning. I miss my other little ones soooo much, but I thought one more night of rest would do wonders for both of us. Mom promised me Sullivan is playing, eating, and drinking like normal, she just gets a fever in the afternoon. I hate being away from her when she's sick, but I know she's in good hands. Here's a pic of Bug I took the other night. This pretty much sums up the way we've all been feeling lately.


Anyway, that's it for now. Just wanted to explain my absence and apologize for the lack of pics. Hopefully this will all be behind us soon and everyone will be back to normal by the time Bruce gets home. Wouldn't that be a cheerful and fun homecoming? Ha!

No comments: