8.02.2012

Rocket City Marathon


I've lost my mind. It's official. I said I'd never do it, but it looks like I'm going to. I've signed up to run the Rocket City MARATHON. Yes, my first 26.2 mile race. I know it's crazy, but this is something I really want to do. I guess I feel like it's now or never. If I do start the nursing program in January I know there won't be time to train for something like this for the next two years. I also thought it would be a great way to finish 2012. Right now the only goal I have for this December race is to finish in 4 hours, 20 minutes or less. I'm excited about this new challenge and if there's anyone out there who would like to run this with me...let me know!

I've already decided that the key to getting through training is to take the training schedule week by week and to ONLY look at that week's running requirements. When you're out running three miles and you say to yourself "17 more?" or "23 more?" it's very easy to think "What have I signed up for?" :) One day and one run at a time. I know my training will have to be more consistent than it was when I was training for the half and I know I'm going to have to really protect/be mindful of my knee. I can't tell you how many times I've heard experienced runners say that getting to race day healthy is half the battle. I've always liked the expression "slow and steady wins the race," but "slow and steady finishes the race" might be my new mantra. Only four months and 6 days until race day!

No comments: