Sullivan has been paci-free for 24 hours now. I took Kathryn's paci away on her six month birthday and, because it worked so well and was relatively painless for all involved, I did the same for Sullivan. It took me three months to get Sullivan to take a paci. Once she did, I was able to get her on a fairly predictable schedule within three days. She was never in love with it the way Kathryn was, but she did really enjoy it. I loved watching her learn to put her paci in her mouth, play with it in the car and how it instantly soothed her in the middle of the night. But she's plenty old enough now to entertain and soothe herself without it. I must admit, she looked so darn cute sucking her pink paci and a little part of me will miss seeing that. It's such a baby kind of thing and I'm really glad I took a few last pictures of her with it the other day.
I was worried last night would be rough, but to my surprise, she slept from 6:40p until 3:00a. I tried to let her settle herself until 3:20 and then I decided it may not be a good idea to let her fuss it out for the first time on the first night I took away her paci. (Bad sleepy mommy!) So I changed her, nursed her (Sullivan and I decided not to wean after all...we're going to keep going. Yay!) and had her back in bed in about 30 minutes; she slept until 7:15 this morning. I know a lot of people think taking a paci away at six months is crazy, but I promise you, it's easier to do it when they're young enough that they don't realize it's missing. It works for us anyway. Sullivan just put herself down for the first nap of the day without her sip-sip in a significantly shorter amount of time compared to yesterday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the transition continues to be smooth.
Here are a few more pictures from this week that I just had to share with everyone.


No comments:
Post a Comment