I am very excited about the progress we are making with our schedule, solids and sippy cups. Last night we fed the babies dinner at 6:00 while we ate and gave them their formula in sippies at the same time. We then did baths, brushed teeth and our normal rocking/cuddling routine before putting them in their beds. Owen did fine because he's always ready to sleep, but Kathryn wasn't having it. After Bruce and I both tried to put her down with no luck we decided to let her cry it out (I really hate that phrase and I have never let either of them cry it out at bedtime or in the middle of the night, but given the fact she's almost one, I knew it would be ok. She was just mad, but all her needs were tended to.) and within 15 minutes she was asleep.
So tonight we tried something different. They ate a great dinner which consisted of half a veggie burger each, cheese toast and cottage cheese with peaches around 5:30 and played for a little while after. We then did our normal routine but instead of giving them their formula in bottles, we cuddled with them while they drank it out of their sippies. It was like they had been doing it for forever. Kathryn fell asleep quickly in my arms once we were in their room and only fussed for maybe two or three minutes after I put her down and then was out. Owen was out as soon as Bruce put him in his crib with his favorite blankie. So I think we have found our new routine and getting rid of that evening bottle may not be as traumatic as I thought it was going to be.
Today they had their first taste of whole milk and I broke out the video camera because I was sure they would make some funny faces, spit the milk out or totally reject it altogether and it would be too cute to not catch on film. Nothing...they just kept drinking like it was water or formula. Ok...how great! I only gave them three or four ounces each today and will gradually increase the amount every few days in the coming weeks. I know many people switch cold turkey, but I just feel like for them, slower is better. They have both had tummy problems in the past. Let's just say when it comes to digesting food, one has a super fast tummy and the other's is super slow.
They are on a lovely little schedule now and I think this one will stick for at least a couple of months. They eat three solid meals a day and roughly two snacks. They each get formula in the mornings and at night and a little midday. The rest of the day it's water. Sometimes Kathryn will boycott her morning nap and not go down until the afternoon, but she knows what she needs better than I do so I just go with the flow. Owen, however, never misses a nap and thoroughly enjoys each one. I can pretty much set my watch by his napping schedule. On a typical day it's an hour and a half to two hour nap for the first nap and 45 minutes to an hour for the second.
I started this post last night and I'm finishing it up this morning. I am thrilled to report that for the second morning in a row the babies slept longer. Kathryn slept until 6:20 and Owen slept until 7:00! Wow! I'm starting to wonder if there is something to filling their little bellies up more at night. But I don't want to jinx it so for now I'll just assume it's a fluke.
No pictures this time, but I'll get some up in the coming weeks. Christmas will be here soon. I hope everyone out there is happy, healthy and doing well.
12.09.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment