11.29.2009

Babies' First Thanksgiving

Owen and Kathryn's first Thanksgiving was so much fun and very busy! We made the drive home on Wednesday and on Thursday took them to Hartselle for lunch at Bruce's Grandmother's house and then back to Huntsville in the afternoon for dinner at my Mom's house. They probably saw about 30 extended family members in one day and when you're normally used to only seeing Mom, Dad and your brother or sister on a daily basis that's a whole lot of family! The babies did great and made it through the whole day just fine. They sampled a little bit of the traditional Thanksgiving cuisine, but stuck mostly to their regular foods because I was afraid they'd get a tummy ache. Both Kathryn and Owen loved chicken and dressing, rolls and sweet potato casserole (without any of the nuts of course). It was quite cute to see them try to figure out these new flavors and then wait eagerly for more once they realized how tasty they were.

It's true that the holidays take on a whole different meaning once you become a parent. I remember last year Bruce and I making the almost-hour drive out to Cracker Barrel in Manassas, VA to celebrate Thanksgiving when I was about 33 weeks pregnant. We didn't go home because I was on bed rest and we were anxiously waiting for our little ones to arrive. It was hard for me to imagine then what the next Thanksgiving would be like with them and it seemed so far away. Well, this year has flown by and God has continued to bless our little family again and again and for that Bruce and I are truly thankful. Everything from the twins arriving as full-term babies, to a very healthy first year for K and O, the fact that I am able to stay home with them and that we were given this assignment in Biloxi which put us a lot closer to family. Yes...amazing blessings from God! This Thanksgiving all I could think about was my wonderful husband,the two most precious gifts I could have ever been given who were sitting with me at the table eating their sweet potatoes and the sweet little girl who is growing daily in my belly. Sure, we were exhausted, trying desperately to get that perfect first turkey day family picture, driving to get to two dinners and trying to visit with everyone while chasing two very busy babies, but it was just the Thanksgiving I had hoped for. That's what it's all about...family, friends, good health, love and laughter.

Earlier this month I posted our 11-month goal. Well the babies are 11 months old now and are still drinking from sippy cups and bottles. After a week or so I realized that there won't be a problem getting them to take milk and water from a sippy cup, but that mixing formula in a sippy cup is kind of a pain. Bruce and I agreed that we would just wait to make the switch to whole milk and full-time sippy cup use on their first birthday. Naps seemed to have leveled out a little and they now take one long nap a day or two one to one and a half hour naps a day. Because they are awake so much longer in the afternoon now, we've moved bedtime up to 6:30 and they seem to be really happy with that. Kathryn is the proud owner of six teeth and Owen has four, working on at least one more if not two. I hope for his sake they come in soon because he just seems miserable sometimes and that's not his personality at all. I hate to see my babies in pain!

We've had a couple of colds within the last month but nothing that a few nights of a cool mist humidifier and a little TLC didn't fix. Both babies are standing alone now and cruising (or holding on to furniture and walking) all over the place. They try to say "pat-pat" which is the phrase I've taught them that means "be gentle," "dog" which comes out "dod" and Kathryn says "beebee" when she sees her favorite hand blanket. We don't know what that means but maybe it's her version of baby. Their little voices are so sweet and it's obvious they are soaking up everything now! Their little vocabularies are expanding daily even in they can't verbalize what they know. I've read that by one year of age, a baby understands most of what is said to him (or her). I found that to be fascinating and it makes you realize how important communicating from day one with your baby really is. Bruce and I try to narrate everything we do with them or for them on a daily basis which is kind of funny sounding to others I'm sure when you're grocery shopping in Walmart.

December is a very busy month for the Wilhite family. There will be first birthdays, first Christmases and our anniversary to celebrate. K and O saw Santa Claus while we were home and it went totally the opposite of how I thought it would go. I expected Kathryn to melt down from fear and Owen to be all about it, but flip that scenario and that's what happened. So I now have a lovely picture of me, the babies and Santa Claus because having Mommy in the picture made Owie feel better. It's kind of neat because it was Sullivan's first trip to see Santa too! I got an extra picture for her baby book also. For fun, we had both Grandmothers jump in and hold a baby and sit on Santa Claus's lap! The pictures are too cute for words and how many babies can say both Grandmothers went with them to see Santa for the first time?

It will be an exciting month to say the least and I know I'll have some adorable pictures to post along the way. Well that's enough blogging for now I suppose, here are some new pictures. Enjoy and I hope everyone out there had a very happy Thanksgiving!

A few shots from the Po-Boy festival we went to in New Orleans. That's right - an entire festival dedicated to a sandwich. Bruce was on cloud nine. It was on Oak Street in New Orleans, hence the "Oak is for Loafin'" t-shirt.



Owen and Kathryn with Grandmother and Poppie

Celebrating their first Thanksgiving with Pop and Grandmama

I had to get a picture with each of my babies on this special day


Our first (and last...heehee) Thanksgiving as a family of four

Any time Bruce and I are both showered, clean and dressed up a little we snap a picture. Believe us people, it doesn't happen that often.

Kathryn looking at Great-Grandmama's dog Missy and Owen is learning how to churn butter.

The last trimester is here! Wow, didn't I have another post with the same title not long ago? Everything is going well and this is my official 28 week belly shot.

Trying to figure out Santa while we wait our turn in line.

The first trip to see Santa.

Here are the stockings I ordered for the babies. I thought they turned out so well. I really wanted something I could keep for them for a long time and make part of our Christmas tradition.

No comments: